Faith, Hope and Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That one is mine," the blond said possessively, but then blushed as she realized what she'd done. She looked at Rose nervously and added, "Or at least I hope she is."

"Time will tell." Rose's response was non-comital, but the look she gave Sophie was anything but. Faith glanced back and forth between the two. I thought she might say something, but I think she realized that whatever was happening between them was new and decided to let it work itself out.

"Can we please go inside now? I'm freaking freezing!" Eli was standing behind Ryan in case the ladies needed his help. Jean was next to him.

"You go get wood for the fire," I told him as I finally got the front door open. "I'll get everyone settled and put on the television so we can watch the ball drop in Times Square."

"And make some of your grandmother's hot chocolate?" Faith was smiling through her shivering as we both remembered our night together. The moment didn't last because it was too damn cold. "Oh my God! I think I'm frozen all the way through!"

I pushed open the front door as quickly as I could. "Everyone inside!" The ladies all but stampeded past me dragging Ryan with them. Eli grumbled as went around the back for the wood.

I started reaching for the ladies' coats, but they shooed me toward the kitchen to start the hot chocolate. I moved reluctantly because I wanted to stay close to Faith. She saw and smiled.

"I need to use the bathroom," she said as we heard Eli trample through the back door. "After that, I'll be in to help with the hot chocolate."

"Deal," I smiled, wanting to hold her in my arms, but knowing I'd need to wait until later. I couldn't just abandon my cousins and Sophie.

I already had everything ready in the kitchen to make the hot chocolate because I figured we'd all be returning to my house well after midnight and need something to warm us. It was still over an hour from the new year because Ryan's antics got us kicked out of the party early, but that didn't make the need for warmth any less.

It struck me that I probably owed Ryan since Faith was here waiting for me when we arrived. I had no doubt that she would have still been on my porch whatever timed we came back, but having Faith with me for midnight was a godsend I wouldn't forget.

It took a while for Faith to join me in the kitchen and by the time she arrived I was done mixing all the ingredients. She walked in on me stirring the saucepan over the stove. Just the sight of her made me smile.

"What can I do to help?" she asked. In answer, I pulled her into a hug that was quickly followed by a heartfelt kiss. It lasted until we were interrupted.

"You'd better not be burning that hot chocolate," Jean said as she entered the kitchen. I rolled my eyes as I stepped away from Faith and went back to stirring.

"Why don't you go find Eli?" I asked, not even attempting to hide my desire to get rid of my cousin.

"He's getting changed," Jean replied, wrinkling her nose as she thought about why he needed to do that. "I figured I'd come in here and make sure you didn't ruin the hot chocolate." She then eyed Faith with a speculative look and added, "Or gave away any family secrets." Faith grinned in reply.

"What can we do to help?" my girl asked, not bothering to respond to the challenge in Jean's voice. My cousin was obviously still trying to feel Faith out. I had the feeling Jean was way out of her league, but time would tell.

"There's some food in the fridge," I answered. "Why don't you two bring it out. The hot chocolate is almost done."

A few minutes later I carried out a tray with six steaming cups. There was no way I was letting Ryan have any until he sobered up.

The ladies were chatting and eating some of the snacks Faith and Jean had carried out for me. Eli was just returning from my bedroom wearing a pair of my jeans and my favorite sweat shirt. He looked at me and grinned, but I didn't take the bait.

"I hope you dropped your old clothes off in the laundry room?"

"I did," he replied, "Although, it might make more sense just to burn them."

"Yuck!" Jean cried. "Please change the subject."

"Let's toast the new year," Sophie smiled, glancing at Rose from the corner of her eye. "I have feeling it's going to be a good one."

"Okay," I said agreeably. "Will the hot chocolate work or do you want me to pull out a bottle of champagne?"

"I'm still half frozen," the blond replied. "And I hear your hot chocolate in incredible."

"It's grandmother's," Jean corrected, but then relented and added, "But it is amazing."

"Definitely the hot chocolate," Faith put in. Everyone else nodded in agreement so I held the tray out and each took a cup.

"Okay, so go ahead Sophie," I said after taking my own cup and getting rid of the tray. "It was your idea so you get to give the toast."

"Oh no!" she laughed. "It's your house. You give the first toast." We started to argue when Eli stepped in.

"I'll do it," he said, which was enough to make more than one person in the group blanch. He was so not the one you wanted giving speeches. Eli's family still talked about the toast he'd giving at his cousin's wedding. She still hadn't forgiven him.

"I've got it," I said a little too quickly, earning a grin from Eli. He was playing me and I knew it, but better that than chancing one of his toasts. I held up my cup.

I was tempted to offer a toast to faith, hope and love, but that was something special for Faith and me. No, for this group I had something else in mind.

"To Christmas Magic, Holiday Magic or just plain old fate! Whatever you want to be called, thanks for bringing that someone special into our lives this holiday season!"

"I'll drink to that," Sophie grinned, eyeing Rose more openly this time. Eli started to comment, but Jean cut him off.

"Don't," she warned, making him laugh.

"Amen," Faith added, although I wasn't sure it was in agreement with my toast or in Jean's warning. I guess in the end it didn't matter. Both worked. The six of us sipped from our cups.

"Wow, that is good!" Sophie said in appreciation.

"Maybe even better than grandma's," Rose added in surprise. "Although, I'll deny I ever said it if any of you tell her."

"I don't suppose I could convince you to share the recipe with me?" Faith asked as she finished her second sip. "I missed it almost as much as I missed you." I laughed at her teasing tone. I think she was asking half to get back at Jean for her early comment in the kitchen. It worked too because my cousin took the bait.

"You do and I'll kill you!" Jean snapped. "I still can't believe grandma only gave you the recipe! One of these days you're going to have to tell me. It only fair. I am family after all."

"Yes, but I'm the woman who's going to be sharing his bed for the rest of his life," Faith said meaningfully. I loved the sound of that. Jean, not so much.

"She has a point dear," Eli interjected before my cousin could respond which earned him a rather nasty look. It was time to step in before tis escalated and ruined the night.

"You're all crazy," I laughed. "I'm not telling anyone. Grandma would never forgive me."

"You know," Faith interjected, laughing as well now. "I can't wait to meet your grandmother. She sounds like quite the character."

"Oh, she is," Rose interjected. "You should have seen her on Christmas. She has to weight all of 90 pounds and she drank two of my uncles under the table, again." Faith looked at me for conformation.

"You would think that Jean's dad and mine would know better by now." I shook my head at the memory.

"Please change the subject," Ryan moaned from the recliner where the ladies deposited him. I'd all but forgotten about him. "I don't ever want to see another shot glass again!"

"Three shots," Eli grumbled. "All he had was three shots." Ryan was too out of it to comment. My friend took one last look at my cousin and shook his head before turning to me and asking, "Do you want me to start the fire?"

"God no!" I snorted. "The last time you forgot to open the flue and we almost died of smoke inhalation." He looked ready for a good comeback, but he never got the chance.

"I'll get the fire started," Faith interjected as she moved to the fireplace. "You go refill the hot chocolate. Eli, you can put on the television and decide which channel we're going to watch."

"She's a bossy one, isn't she?" I think Eli was joking, but with him you never knew.

"You have no idea!" Ryan groaned. Faith was the first to laugh.

"CC's not bossy," Rose said, coming to her friend's defense. "She's more mothering." The word 'mothering' made me smile as I had a flash of what our future together might be like. I was in no rush to have kids, but I did want them and the thought of having them with Faith was pretty incredible.

"Exactly! Bossy," Eli retorted.

"You'd understand if you'd knew his mother," I couldn't help adding, which earned me a pillow in the back of the head from Eli.

"I'm sure she's very nice." Jean sounded more hopeful than anything else. I decided to let her find out on her own. Eli mom could be nice. Then again...

The next hour went by quickly enough with the six of us sitting in the living room in front of the fireplace, drinking my grandmother's hot chocolate and listening to each other as we exchanged stories of holidays past. Faith and I were once more on a blanket in front of the fireplace while the others opted for the couch.

Occasionally, a memory of the last time she and I were in front of the fireplace would surface and I'd have problems focusing on anything other than Faith. The weird part was that she'd smile knowingly each time it happened, like she knew what I was thinking. She'd also occasionally give me a look that let me know she wanted a repeat just as much as I did. Each time that happened I'd have to force myself to look away before I forgot the others in the room.

"It's your turn to get the wood," Eli said to me eventually. I sighed and stood reluctantly. I hated letting go of Faith.

I glanced at the television as I stretched. It was on so we could see the ball drop when the time came, but the volume was off. We were more interested in each other than the show.

"Twenty minute more."

"I don't feel so good," Ryan said from the recliner. Frankly, I'd thought he'd passed out some time ago.

"Let's get you to bed," Rose said, not sounding thrilled at having to get up. She wasn't quite in Sophie's lap like Jean was in Eli's, but they were sitting extremely close.

"Relax. I've got him," Faith said kindly. "I need to use the bathroom anyway."

"Thanks," my cousin replied. Of course, Ryan wasn't thrilled with being helped by 'Crazy Carrie', but she didn't give him a choice.

"You and I need to have another talk," Faith said as she led him down the hall. Ryan groaned. "But it can wait until the morning." I gave them one last glance and grinned, shaking my head before going for the wood.

Faith wasn't back yet when I reentered the living room. I threw a couple of logs in the fire and closed the screen before standing and stretching The others were laughing at something together. I smiled down at them, but wasn't ready to rejoin them without Faith so instead I moved to the piano in the far corner.

I smiled down at my old friend as I pulled out the stool and sat. I lifted the fall board and began to play. I was in a good mood and adding some music to the moment felt right.

I tried some bars from a few different songs, but couldn't decide on one. I was done with the whole Christmas Carol thing, but was still in the holiday spirit. The obvious choice for tonight was 'Auld Lang Syne', but that didn't fit my mood.

That's when Faith finally came back into the room and suddenly, I knew which song was perfect for the moment. I began playing the introduction and she smiled warmly, joining me at the piano. I didn't even have to prompt her to sing when the time came. She was feeling the moment same as me.

~~Maybe it's much too early in the game. Aah, but I thought I'd ask you just the same. What are you doing New Year's...New Year's Eve~~

Her voice was as amazing as I remembered. Maybe even more so, but it was the way she was looking at me as she sang that made the moment something extraordinary. Her deep brown eyes held the promise of a future that I craved in ways I was only just starting to understand.

~~Wonder whose arms will hold you good and tight. When it's exactly twelve o'clock that night. Welcoming in the New Year...New Year's Eve~~

Faith's voice grew more powerful as she sang the third verse. The shear emotion she conveyed made me ache.

~~Maybe I'm crazy to suppose. I'd ever be the one you chose. Out of the thousand invitations you received~~

By this point the others had stood and joined us by the piano, although truthfully, I barely noticed. My focus was completely on Faith. It was all I could do to continue playing.

~~Aah, but in case I stand one little chance. Here comes the jackpot question in advance, baby what are you doing New Year's...New Year's Eve~~

Faith finished the final verse and smiled at me, but I couldn't leave it at that. I continued playing. The words to the third verse came unbidden and for the first time in my life I could care less what people thought about my terrible singing. I needed Faith to know how I felt.

~~Maybe I'm crazy to suppose. I'd ever be the one you chose. Out of the thousand invitations you received~~

I can't say that I sounded good. Frankly, I doubted it, but Faith was watching me with tear filled eyes as I poured my heart out to her and that's what mattered.

~~Aah, but in case I stand one little chance. Here comes the jackpot question in advance, baby what are you doing New Year's...New Year's Eve~~

I don't remember the moment when I stopped playing and Faith ended up in my arms, but I do remember how good it felt to have her there. The hug we exchanged was filled with everything we shared for each other and neither of us were willing to let go.

"Just remember who your best man is going to be," Eli eventually said, ending the moment, which I guess was a good thing. We weren't alone. At least not yet, but we would be and I couldn't wait.

"Ryan, since without him I would never have seen Faith in that that video," I joked back.

"No way," Eli retorted, unfazed. "He'll never pull off the pink tux."

"Pink tux?" Faith frowned. "Do I want to know?"

"Later," Jean interjected, glancing at the television. "It's time."

We all moved back in front of the fire. Faith and I took the blanket on the floor once more while the others sat on the couch. This time I noticed that Rose had Sophie's arms wrapped around her. Jean was sitting on Eli's lap once again.

My back was against the couch and Faith was leaning into me. She handed me the remains of my hot chocolate as she held hers. It felt like heaven to have her in my arms once more. We hadn't gotten a chance to talk yet, but there'd be plenty of time for that tomorrow. The important thing was that we were here together now.

"Here it goes!" Rose said excitedly. There was no doubt that half her excitement was for the first kiss she was about to get from Sophie. I was happy for her, but I put my cousin out of my mind as the ball began to drop.

~~10, 9, 8, 7...~~

It was almost to bottom as we counted down along with the television. I watched Faith and lost track of the others. She was smiled contently as she counted.

~~...3,2,1 ~~

Everyone on the television cheered, but I was too focused on Faith to care. She looked at me and lost her smile, but not the feeling of contentment. That was obvious from the brightness if her eyes. "Happy New Year." Instead of responding in kind, I said what I really was feeling.

"I love you."

I guess I expected her to be surprised by my words, but if she was Faith didn't show it. Instead, her smile returned and she leaned into me and we kissed. It wasn't the most passion filled kiss we'd ever shared, but it was the most heartfelt. She pulled back reluctantly, but then her eyes locked with mine, letting me see deep into her soul.

"I love you too."

The only response I had to that was to steal a second kiss. I'm guessing we weren't the only ones since no one else interrupted us. Eventually the couples separated long enough to wish everyone else a happy new year. I pulled Faith into a hug afterward.

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask you. How did you get here?"

"My father's old pickup truck. A neighbor had it stored for me," she replied, then shrugged and added, "This morning I woke up and started loading it with everything I owned, not realizing why until I found myself behind the wheel driving this way." She hesitated briefly. "The friends I visited at Christmas told me I could stay with them until I find a place."

"Call them in the morning and tell then thanks, but no thanks," I said confidently. "You're home now. We'll empty the truck in the morning."

"Wow! Moving a little fast, aren't we?" Eli interjected before Faith could respond.

"Not hardly," I insisted, glancing from person to person before my eyes settled once more on Faith. "This one is mine." Her only response was to smile and take my hand in both of hers.

"Are you sure about her living with you already?" Jean asked, earned more than one odd look. She became defensive as she explained. "Hey, I don't have a problem with it, but what about your parents? I'm not sure how they, or the rest of the family for that matter, are going to deal with someone they've never met moving in with you."

"You're making a bigger deal of out of it than it is," Rose argued. "Colin will take Faith to see Grandma tomorrow before everyone finds out and once they have her blessing the rest of the family will fall in line."

"Here's hoping she likes me," Faith said with a shake of her head. I wouldn't say she was nervous, mostly because Faith wasn't the type, but there's little doubt she was concerned.

"Please!" Jean snorted, surprising my girl. I don't think Faith realize how much my cousin was already warming to her. "Grandma's not the issue. Just be yourself and she'll love you. Hell, with my luck, she'll probably tell you her hot chocolate recipe before she tells me."

"You know, I think she's keeping it from you because you're so adamant at wanting to know." I should have known better than to offer that tidbit of information.

"I know that," Jean snapped, looking ready to launch into another rant, but instead a laugh slipped out as she calmed down considerably. "It's a game grandma and I have been playing forever. I stole her cook book a few years ago and copied all her recipes. She still hasn't forgiven me."

"You didn't!" Rose cried.

"I did," Jean replied, not sounding remotely guilty. "She's not going to live forever and someone had to do it or she'd take all our favorites to the grave with her. Stubborn old woman!" Despite her words, I knew how close Jean was to grandmother.

"Have you tried any of them?" Rose asked hopefully. "Because I would kill for her potato casserole recipe!"

"I've tried all of them, but I think grandma intentionally excluded an ingredient from each. None of them came out tasting like hers the first time. I'm slowly playing with each trying to figure out what missing. I've got about a quarter of them figured out."

"And the casserole?" Rose asked.

"Not yet," Jean sighed. "But give me time. Last month I finally came up with what was missing from her Swedish meatballs."

"Really?" Eli said in interest. He loved my grandmother's cooking, especially her Swedish meatballs, but then again, everyone did.

"So then if you have your grandmother's recipe book, don't you already have her hot chocolate recipe?" Faith asked in confusion. I didn't blame her.