Worth the Effort Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah." Shane shrugged. "I'm just pessimistic because of past experience I guess."

"I can see that, but don't let it get in the way," Evan said. "Morgan's good for you, I can see it. You're happy with her. That's important."

Yes, Shane thought as he yanked out the shelf, Morgan makes me happy. I need to remember that.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Ready for the big day?" Casey asked.

Morgan let out a big breath. "I think so. I hope so. I'm excited but nervous. My stomach has had that rollercoaster-just-before-the-drop feeling for about three days."

"It'll be over in, let me think, nine days. Just over a week. It's a good book, Morgan." Casey took her by the shoulders. "I can't promise you'll get a thousand people here, but there's been some publicity, and regardless of how many people show up, you should be damn proud of what you've done."

"Gosh, listen to you," said Morgan.

"Damn straight, listen to me," said Casey. "I'm right, and you know it."

"Thanks, Case." Morgan hugged her. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be all scattered. It's just between this and all the wedding stress, I feel completely overwhelmed."

"Hi, guys!" Jenna came in on one of her rare days off. "Is Morgan panicking?"

"Working up to it," said Casey.

"Morgan, it'll be fine," Jenna told her sister. "You know it will. Whatever happens, you wrote a book and got it published. That's so brave! I couldn't do that."

"Don't sell yourself short," Morgan admonished gently. "But thank you."

"How about you let me do something with your hair? I was thinking maybe I could do two colors, the red and yellow of the main character's clan?"

"Thanks, Jen, but I don't think so." Morgan ran a hand through her hair, which was about back to her natural dark blonde. "I could use a trim, maybe, but I don't think I want any colors right now, not with the wedding coming up, and Shane said he likes it this way."

"Wait, hold up," said Casey. She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "Did I just hear you say you wouldnot color your hair because of Shane? Did I just fucking hear that?"

"Well, no. Sort of," said Morgan, squirming under her friend's gaze. She pretended to straighten the counter display to avoid looking at Casey. "What? I'm not allowed to do something because my boyfriend likes it? The wedding is coming up and I don't want it colored for that anyway."

"What? Morgan, this doesn't sound like you," said Casey.

"Yes, it does," Morgan said. "The wedding isn't about me."

"But if you can't be yourself—"

"I can be myself without blue hair. It's just something I like to do for fun. I don't mind toning it down, especially when the focus should be on other people."

"You haven't put any colors in your hair for a while now, come to think of it," said Jenna. "Has she, Casey?"

"No, she hasn't." Casey gave Morgan a hard look.

"Are you doing it because you want to, Morgan?" asked Jenna. "Or because you think you have to?"

"I—I don't know. Both, maybe." Morgan slammed her hands on the counter and pushed herself back. "I don't know."

"Morgan, if you're doing this because you're afraid Shane—" Casey began.

"I'm not," Morgan said quickly.

Casey continued, "Because you're afraid Shane won't like you or something, then two things. First, such a thing would mean I'd kick his fucking ass to the curb, and two, I think you'd be wrong."

"What?" Morgan was startled at Casey's switch from righteous anger to concern.

"Casey's right," said Jenna. "I've seen you two together, Shane really likes you and I don't think it has to do with your hair. If he broke up with you because of that, he isn't who I thought he was, at all."

"I appreciate it guys, I do, but let it go, okay? I'm fine with not coloring my hair until after the wedding."

"That's good, in some ways," said Jenna. "At least Brianna can't give you a hard time about it tonight."

"Oh, fuck," said Morgan. "Is Brianna coming? I thought it was just us so Mom and Dad could meet Shane."

"Mom just told me a little while ago," said Jenna. "I'm sorry, I thought you knew."

"Goddamn it." Morgan smacked her hand on the counter. "I bet she weaseled her way in. I bet Mom told her Shane and I were coming, and Brianna just couldn't leave it alone. Jesus."

"I'm bringing popcorn," said Casey. "This has promise." Then she patted Morgan's hand. "I'm kidding. This sucks. Wish I could do something."

"For what it's worth, Morgan, I'm on your side," said Jenna. "I promise to back you up. I know I haven't done it much, but I will this time. I mean it."

"Thanks, Jen." Morgan appreciated the statement of support, but wasn't sure she expected anything to come of it. Jenna had talked Morgan into "one more time," as she often had, but she wasn't sure Jenna understood that this was, for real, the last time for Morgan. There were lines, and if Brianna crossed any of them, Morgan was calling her on it, and damn the fallout.

After work, as Morgan got ready to go, she decided she'd had enough, and put on a short-sleeved blouse decorated with stars, which covered some but not all of her tattoos. She was tired of toning it down to avoid confrontations with Brianna in front of other people.

I'm allowed, she thought, to look the way I want, when I want.

Morgan looked over her tattoos. They all meant something to her, even if it was just to make her smile. Fuck Brianna, she thought, if that bothers her.

"Hey, you look nice," Shane said when she let him in. "Pretty shirt. Brings out your eyes." He leaned down for a kiss.

Morgan smiled. "Thank you." She returned the kiss. "Are you sure you're up for this? It could get ugly."

"Why? Is someone going to start throwing food?"

She laughed. "I certainly hope not. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you, but I found out from Jenna earlier that Brianna and Evan will be there."

"Ah. Why?"

"I have no idea." Morgan threw up her hands. "Because Brianna can't leave things alone. Because she wants it to be about her. But specifically, I think she wants to throw a wrench into the works if at all possible."

He raised an eyebrow. "What exactly do you think she'll do?"

"There's no real telling," she said with a sigh, "but I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to guilt me into being a bridesmaid again, or tries to get my parents to do the same. She may also try to get them to pay for my ticket to her party in Vegas, even though the money is not the main reason I'm not going."

"Whew." Shane let out a low whistle. "This does sound like it could get messy. But hey." He took her by the shoulders. "I'm on your side, I promise."

"Thanks." She leaned in and put her arms around him, reveling in the warmth of him. "I will behave, for as long as I can, but I can't promise there might not be some fireworks. But I will try to postpone them until after dessert, because my mom makes a killer chocolate raspberry cake and I want some."

"Me too. If you get out of hand too early, I'll pinch you, okay?" He grinned.

Morgan got more nervous the closer they got to her parents. She was glad she'd driven, because it kept her from thinking too much about it.

"I don't know why I worry," she said with a sigh. "Whatever Brianna is going to do, she's got it planned and I can never get the edge, so I should just roll with whatever comes up."

Shane patted her leg. "Rolling with it is probably best, whatever happens. Remember, I'm here and I'll back you up."

"That's about the only thing keeping me from having you turn the car around."

"Come on, tell me, should I be worried? Think your parents will like me?"

Morgan appreciated the attempt to keep her distracted. "They'll love you, I'm sure. Mom's a sucker for a guy who dresses up," she teased. Shane had worn dress slacks and a button-down shirt. He'd forgone a tie but worn a sports jacket. "My dad's a tax attorney so you guys can discuss all kinds of numbers things."

They arrived to find Brianna had gotten there first, which surprised Morgan not at all. She decided to make a conscious effort not to anticipate anything Brianna might do. It hadn't helped in the past, and the point of the dinner was for Shane to meet her parents, so that's what she would focus on.

Things went smoothly for a while, and Morgan almost thought she could relax. Previous experience, however, kept her from being entirely comfortable. It annoyed her, because it seemed to prove that Brianna could get the upper hand even if she didn't do anything, since Morgan was the one expending all the mental preparation for an attack that might not even come.

"This cake is delicious, Mrs. Blake," Shane said. "Morgan told me about it and she was completely right."

Elaine chuckled. "Thank you, Shane, I'm glad you like it."

"Yes, Morgan always gets that cake," said Brianna, "no matter if anyone else likes it."

"Luckily, I do." Shane smiled and had another bite.

Brianna made a sour face. Morgan hid her own smile as she sipped her coffee.

"The cupcakes are great, too," said Evan. "I couldn't resist having one myself."

"They're all for everyone," said Elaine. "I like to make sure there's enough."

"So, how are the plans coming?" asked John. "We're getting close. Hard to believe in a few weeks we'll all be on a tropical island."

"It's going all right," said Brianna, and Morgan couldn't help but tense at where the conversation might go. Shane took her hand and ran his thumb over hers, and she took a deep breath.

"Did you work out the parties?" asked Elaine.

"We'll be going to a baseball game, and dinner after," said Evan.

"That sounds like fun," said John. "I used to love going to games with my dad and brother. I even forgave them for being Yankees fans."

Evan laughed. "I was always a Dodgers' fan myself. I don't know why. Not like we lived in California."

"How about you, Shane?" asked John. "A favorite team?"

"If I say the Yankees, can I still finish my cake?" Everyone chuckled and he shook his head. "No, not the Yankees. I liked the Cubs most of the time."

"How about you, Brianna?" asked Elaine. "Did you finalize your plans?"

"We're going to Vegas, despite all the obstacles," said Brianna.

"Good choice." Elaine nodded. "I went for a friend's wedding anniversary a year or two ago. I think you'll have a lot of fun."

"Well, we're not all going," said Brianna.

Morgan braced herself, grateful Shane still had her hand.

"No?" asked Elaine.

"No." Brianna shook her head. "Morgan said she can't go. I mean, first she couldn't go to the wedding until you stepped in, and now the party. She said she can't even be a bridesmaid."

Morgan narrowed her eyes but didn't say anything. Jenna looked at her, bit her lip, then poked at the cake on her plate.

"I don't know if Jenna can come either," Brianna continued. "It's so sad neither of my sisters can come to my bachelorette party."

"Well, when is it?" asked her mother.

If she asks them to pay for me again, Morgan thought, I will totally fucking lose it.

"We're leaving on the twelfth, coming back the fifteenth," said Brianna.

Thank god, thought Morgan. An out.

"Morgan, are you sure you can't go?" her mother asked.

"I am, Mom. I'm sorry to miss it, but the fourteenth is my book release and signing at The Neutral Zone." There, she thought. It's a nice, easy reason I can't go.

"You could reschedule that." Brianna waved her hand dismissively. "That's hardly an excuse."

Morgan wondered why she'd thought it would be easy. "No, I can't reschedule. This was worked out with my publisher and it's been planned for a couple of months. I'm sorry, Brianna, but I told you a while ago that I couldn't go. I hope you have a great time, but I can't make it."

"This is so like you." Brianna crossed her arms and sat back in her chair. "It's all about you. Your coloring book could be signed anytime."

"It's a graphic novel, Brianna," Jenna said.

"Excuse me?" Brianna glared at her younger sister.

"It's a graphic novel, not a coloring book. You wouldn't like it if someone referred to your work like that." Jenna countered calmly, and Morgan was grateful for the effort.

"My work is important," Brianna snapped. "I've matured beyond reading books with pictures." She huffed out a breath. "Mom, please. Make Morgan understand my wedding is more important."

"No, no, I don't think this is my business," said Elaine. "You girls will have to work this out. Come on, John, let's take the dishes in."

Brianna gaped and Morgan watched in amazement as their parents collected the dishes and went into the kitchen. Good for you, Mom, Morgan thought. Jenna looked stunned as well.

"I can't believe you, Morgan," Brianna said. "I can't believe you're making this all about you."

"But I'm not," said Morgan. "You're going to have your party in Vegas, which is what you wanted, and I hope you have a great time, but I can't make it. That's all there is to it."

"What are people going to think when you aren't there? My own sister?"

"I don't think they'll care."

"And you, Jenna?" Brianna turned to her. "Let me guess, you can't come either."

"No, I can't," said Jenna. "I told you, I can't afford to take the time off."

"Great, so now neither of my sisters will be there. Jesus, that's great. You know, maybe if either one of you got a real job, this wouldn't be an issue." Brianna glared at both of them.

"Enough, Brianna. I'm not having that argument again," said Morgan.

"Bri, maybe we should go," said Evan.

"What? No, I'm not going. Not until I figure out why neither of my sisters can be bothered to help celebrate one of the biggest occasions in my life," Brianna said.

"There's nothing to figure," Evan said, his voice even. "They can't come to this, and that's a shame, but they'll be at the wedding. Isn't that what's important?"

Morgan was impressed that Evan was speaking up. She had worried that he'd be a pushover with her sister, and was glad to see he was not rolling over.

"Whose side are you on?" Brianna was indignant, and tears gathered in her eyes.

"I'm on your side, Brianna," he said, and covered her hand with his. "I'm always on your side. Which is why I think you should let this go, and we should leave."

"Why should I?" she demanded. "They're the ones being selfish. I have one bachelorette party, and one wedding, and it is like pulling teeth to get them to come."

"Brianna, we are doing the best we can," Jenna said before Morgan could. "You're asking a lot, and I don't think you realize it. I don't care how much I make, it is still expensive to go to Vegas and go to Fiji and buy a dress and everything else."

"So get a better fucking job," said Brianna. "Be a grown up."

"Do you do your own hair?" asked Morgan.

"What?" Brianna blinked, startled by the change in subject.

"Do you do your own hair?" Morgan repeated. "Do you cut it yourself? Color it?"

"No, of course not."

"But you think so little of those who do it as a job."

"I do not. I pay a lot and tip well," Brianna said.

"So you respect your hair dresser? Maybe even like her?" Morgan asked.

"Yes. So?"

"Then can you tell me why you treat Jenna so badly for doing the same job that you pay and tip someone else to do?"

"Because anybody can do that! You don't even have to go to college for it. You just take some courses and get a certificate. Christ, it's not hard."

"If you're so embarrassed by me, Brianna," Jenna said, her voice a bit shaky, "then why did you invite me to your wedding in the first place?"

"Jesus, Jenna, because you're my sister." Brianna rolled her eyes. "How would it look if you didn't come? It's a big occasion. And now you're acting like a baby. 'Oh, it's too hard. I can't go, I don't have enough money,'" Brianna said mockingly.

"That is absolutely fucking enough," said Morgan her voice low with anger. "Leave her alone."

"Oh, shut up, Morgan," said Brianna. "You're no better than she is. You went and got a degree, and this is what you do with it? With your clothes and hair and your fucking tattoos it's like you never left college. You and Jenna both need to grow up and get real jobs, and at least pretend to be functioning adults."

"That's it. I am fucking done with this. I have tried and tried." Morgan stood up, closer to tears than she wanted to be. "I don't know why you hate me so much, and I'm tired of trying to figure it out. I am not going to your bachelorette party and I'm not going to your wedding."

"Neither will I." Jenna looked up from her seat. Morgan saw her hand tremble as she toyed with a napkin. "Morgan's right, Brianna. You don't really want us there." Jenna cleared her throat. "I'm not going."

Brianna looked from Morgan to Jenna and back again. "You can't. Not both of you. Mom and Dad paid for your tickets, you wouldn't let them waste the money."

"I'll settle that with Mom and Dad," said Morgan.

"Ugh, Shane, you talk to her." Brianna threw her hands up. "She won't listen to me."

"All right." Shane nodded and looked at Morgan. "I think you did the right thing. I'm ready to go when you are."

"What?" Brianna jumped up. "What are you talking about?"

Shane turned to her. "I am talking about supporting my girlfriend and the stand she's taken. You're treating her terribly, and I'm not going to let it happen. She's completely right not to go, and so is Jenna."

"Evan! Evan, are you going to let him do this?"

"No," said Shane, his firm tone startling Brianna. "Don't bring Evan into this. This is between you and your sisters, and then you brought me into it. This has nothing to do with Evan."

"Fine. Go, get out, all of you." Brianna pointed at the door. "I will not let you ruin my party or my wedding!"

"In case you forgot, you don't live here," Morgan said. It was a little petty, she knew, but couldn't stop herself.

"Brianna, we should go," Evan said before Brianna could respond. "I'll say goodbye to your parents." He nodded at Shane. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Sure," said Shane.

"Morgan, Jenna, I'm sorry about all this," Evan told them. "I don't know how we'll work it out, but I hope we can."

"Thanks, Evan," said Morgan. "I'm sorry, too. I really wish the best to both of you, and hope everything goes smoothly with the wedding."

Brianna was red with anger, but no one made an effort to placate her. Morgan went to her parents, who both looked upset, and said she'd talk to them later. Her mother sniffled a bit but just nodded and hugged her goodbye, and told Shane it had been good to meet him and hugged him as well.

Jenna, who still lived at home in a basement apartment, walked out to the car with Morgan and Shane.

"Are you going to be okay to drive?" Jenna asked her. They were both quiet for a minute, listening to Brianna's yelling from the house through the open windows.

"Yeah, I think so, thanks." Morgan pulled Jenna into a hard hug. "And thanks for coming through, Jen. It means so much."

"I know. It meant a lot to me too, really." Jenna sighed. "I'm sorry there will be fallout for Mom and Dad, but we'll get through it. And I needed to stand up for myself." She smiled at Shane and patted his arm. "You were great, just so you know. I told Morgan, you're a keeper, and you just proved it."

"Just trying to help," he said.

Jenna nodded and turned back to the house, taking the side entrance to her apartment to avoid the fireworks inside.

"Hey," said Shane.

Morgan blinked and looked at him.

He smiled and stroked her cheek. "Ready to go?"

She nodded.

Back at Shane's house, Morgan curled up on the couch, her emotions in a tangle. She'd cried a bit in the car, but didn't feel the need now.

"You okay?" he asked. He wrapped his arms around her and held her, her back to his front, and she tried to relax and enjoy the feeling.

"Not really, not right now." She closed her eyes as he stroked her hair. "I will be in a while. Thank you. It helped a lot to have you there, to know you had my back."