The Right Thing To Do

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I won't say I never even considered keeping the Cayman's money for myself because I did think long and hard on it. But I had no idea of what was really going on and how it might come to bite me on the ass. I had no interest in finding out what prison life would be like if it were the FBI or cement overshoes would be like if it was a crime family.

The next morning I called the local FBI office and asked to speak with Agent Marks. I was told he wasn't in yet so I left a message asking him to call me. He called me at ten and I asked him if he would meet me at the Village Inn on Wilcox at twelve o'clock. I told him I had some information about Susan he might like to have. I asked that he come alone or at least come with someone other than Waters. He laughed and said he would be there alone.

I picked the kids up from school, took them to daycare and headed for the restaurant. Marks was already there and he was sitting in a booth alone. I sat down in the booth with him and Rachel was there with my diet Pepsi before Marks or I had even said hello. I guess that's what happens when you are a regular customer and a creature of habit. Marks had coffee in front of him and when Rachel asked if we were ready to order I looked at Marks and he shook his head no. I told Rachel to give us fifteen minutes and she left.

I looked at Marks and then said "I need to make a decision and I need information before I can decide what to do. I need to know what your interest in Susan was. I will tell you what I know and then happily you can tell me what is going on."

I went on to explain the way I met Susan and then what she told me. For the time being I omitted the Salt Lake deposit box. When I was done I looked at him expectantly. He looked like he was giving it some thought and finally he said:

"She was lying to you. The real story is that she was a vice-president of a bank and she had been stealing money for years before someone caught on to what she was doing. Somehow she found out they were on to her and she ran with her current boyfriend Lee Carol. We managed to find out about Carol's accidental death and we came here in hopes that Mrs. Pinkney would still be in the area. We found out from the local police that you were the one who drove her to pick up her things out of the wreck. We came to you to see if you knew her whereabouts and here we are."

"Okay. What I have are her things. They include three different sets of identities for her and the information and passwords for two Cayman Island's bank accounts."

"You have the accounts?"

I shook my head yes and he took out his cell phone and made a call. "This Marks. You can cancel trying to get a search warrant."

There was a pause and then he said "I'm with him now and he says he has what we are looking for." Another pause and then he said "I'll see." Then to me and asked "When can we get the stuff?"

"You can follow me home from here or I can bring it into work with me in the morning."

"Well seeing that she can no longer access the accounts I think we can wait until tomorrow. What time do you normally get to work?"

"About a quarter to eight."

"Okay; I'll see you then."

He stood and offered me his hand and I took it and we shook hands.

That afternoon at work I spent some time thinking on whether or not I wanted to take a chance on something or not. I spent some more time on it after putting the kids to bed and then I went to bed and thought more on it before falling asleep.

I dropped the kids off at school and on the way to work I decided to do it. I called Francine at the number she gave me.

"Pete?"

"It's me. We need to have a sit down. Will noon work for you?"

"Just tell me the place."

"The village in at noon."

"I'll be there."

At eight-thirty Marks arrived and I showed him what I had.

"I do have to admit I thought long and hard about keeping those accounts. That's just too damned much temptation to pit in front of a man. Of course that is when I thought it was money stolen from crooks."

"I can understand that, but you will sleep better at night knowing you did the right thing."

He thanked me again and he left with the material I gave him. I brought Uncle Bob up to date on things and he surprised me when he said:

"You done good Pete. It was the right thing to do."

The morning went fast and then it was time to pick up the kids and take them to day care. From there I went to the Village Inn and found Francine already there and sitting in a booth. I joined her and after an exchange of greetings I said:

"I have a confession to make. I'm as much responsible for our breakup as you are. When you told me you went to the doctor and then lied to me about the result I decided to have myself checked. I did and then I lied to you about the results. I'm sterile and there is no way I will ever be able to father children. I lied to you for the same reason you lied to me. I was afraid you would leave me so you could find someone else to give you babies."

"Does this mean I can come home?"

"Things have changed in the last two weeks and you may not want to now."

I brought here up to date on all that had happened and on my decision to keep Bobby and Sally.

"That's what you would be coming home to."

There was no hesitation on her part.

"Give me a key and I'll be moved back in and have dinner ready when you get home."

"Are you sure? It's a pretty big step."

"Stop wasting time and give me a key."

Francine was there and she did have dinner ready when I got home with the kids. I introduced them to Francine and Sally looked at her and asked:

"Are you our new mommy?"

I saw a tear roll down Francine's cheek as she said "Would you like me to be?"

"Yes ma'am" the two kids said almost in unison. Fran hugged both of them and then she sat us down for dinner.

During the meal she asked them about their day at school and day care and I just sat there and smiled. Things were going to be all right.

We did get a welcome surprise about six months after Franny came home. Marks called and asked me to meet him for lunch. Curiosity of course made me say yes to the invitation and we met at the Village Inn. After we had ordered he said:

"I wanted to be the one to bring this to you" and he handed me an envelope. I opened it and found a check made out to me for seventy-five thousand dollars. I looked at him and he saw the question on my face.

"It's a finder's fee. A reward for helping the bank recover their money."

I guess that it does sometimes pay to do the right thing.