Worth the Effort Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Families are odd, aren't they?" Morgan asked. "I remember from school, readingAnna Karenina, and the first line is that every happy family is the same, but every dysfunctional family is dysfunctional in their own way."

"I think Tolstoy was on to something. What is it in your family?"

"We don't have to talk about this, you know," Morgan said. "There must be something more fun to discuss. Like religion or politics."

Shane laughed. "That's some standard of comparison right there."

"I exaggerate a bit," Morgan allowed. "What can I say? I'm a writer."

"How about we walk and talk? I'm ready to go."

Morgan agreed and Shane requested the check. Morgan offered to pay her share, which Shane figured she would, but he firmly insisted that he'd pay. Privately, he thought it was about time someone did something nice for her.

"It's a nice night," he said as they strolled along the main street.

"It is."

"Probably not as nice as Fiji," he observed, and was rewarded with a laugh.

"No, probably not."

"It is still Fiji, right? They haven't moved it again?"

"Not last I heard. And unless they move it somewhere close by, it doesn't matter. I can't go."

"No?"

Morgan shrugged. "I can't afford it. I looked at my budget, and it's just too much. Even if I had the money, I don't know if I would. Brianna doesn't seem to want me there. No, that's wrong." She paused and gathered her thoughts. "Brianna wants me there because she thinks it looks bad if I'm not. But she doesn'twant me there. She doesn't like me."

"Really?" Shane looked puzzled. "I figured there was some sibling rivalry or something, but you honestly think she doesn't like you?"

"I don't know how else to read it," said Morgan. "I'm two years younger than she is, and I think she's resented me since the beginning. I took the attention, at least for a while, because babies do. I remember from when I was a little older, like five or so, she would throw huge tantrums, and it was easier and faster for Mom and Dad to give in.

"By the time Jenna was born, that was S.O.P. Jenna was a bit sickly as an infant, so she needed more time and attention than I had. Brianna learned pretty quickly that it didn't take much to push our parents to the point of giving in, because of Jenna's needs. It's changed a bit in application, but the same stuff still basically happens."

"Damn," said Shane after a minute. "That is some serious dysfunction."

Morgan laughed. "We have definitely both been through the wringer with family, it sounds like."

"I think we deserve ice cream. Do you like ice cream? You're not lactose intolerant or anything?"

"No, I'm good. I love ice cream."

When they were seated and had their ice cream, he noticed Morgan staring at him.

"Did I spill some already?" he asked.

"No." She took a bite. "I was just wondering."

"Wondering what?"

"Why you asked me out tonight."

"Oh." Shane stalled and ate some ice cream. "Because I wanted to?"

Morgan laughed. "That's a fair answer. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to blindside you. Sometimes I'm a little too direct for my own good."

Shane grinned. "Do you always question the motives of guys who ask you out?"

"Touché," Morgan said. "I think I have reason to question here. You said you weren't interested in anything more than friendship, and that's fine, but—that's not the vibe I'm getting tonight. Am I on to something?"

"I, um—yes. Yes, I think you are." Shane decided if Morgan was going to be direct, he should be as well. "I like you, Morgan."

"Thanks, I like you, too." She smiled. "So that's out of the way."

"You're just not the type of woman I'd expect to like as more than a friend." Shane realized that had come out badly when he saw the puzzled and then disappointed look on Morgan's face. "No, wait, that came out all wrong. Let me try again, please?"

She didn't answer right away and Shane's stomach went into knots. He let out a long breath when she nodded. "Thank you," he said. He was surprised to realize how much he didn't like to see that expression on her face.

"I work with numbers, not words, and I'm winging it here, so all I'm asking is for the benefit of the doubt. For a little bit, anyway. Okay?" he asked.

She nodded. "Okay."

"Thanks." Shane paused; a lot seemed to ride on what he said next. "I really do like you. But my track record with relationships is—not great. So I guess in general, I'm a little cautious about starting another one."

Morgan said nothing, but gave a slight nod as though she understood, and he took that as encouragement.

"I admit, I wasn't sure we had much to build on. I've never heard of the games you play, and I don't know much science fiction beyond Star Wars. But I like you, you're interesting and funny and, well, I'd like to get to know you better. So that's why I asked you out tonight. To get to know you, and see if you want to get to know me. I just hope I haven't messed up my chances."

"You did the word thing pretty well," Morgan said after a minute.

Shane smiled with some relief but still felt nervous. "Thanks."

"Look, I like you too. I was disappointed when you said you weren't interested, but I wasn't going to chase you. I believed you, and I appreciated you being honest. I just need to know a couple of things."

Shane leaned forward. "Sure, ask away."

"You're being honest now, right? This isn't some kind of thing where you're jerking me around?"

He realized she was nervous too.

"No, I wouldn't do that," he said. "I know I can't prove it, but I don't do that."

"Okay. I'll take your word for it." She gave a shy smile. "I didn't think you would but I had to ask."

"What else?"

"I just—I'm not—" Morgan made a frustrated sound. "Okay. I'm not a starter kit, or someone to use as a trial run while you figure out if you like a certain type of woman. I'm not a novelty.

"If you want to see where this goes between us, that's fine. I'd like that too. But if we do that, you have to be all in, like I will be. If it doesn't work, I'm fine with that, too, so long as we both made an honest effort." As she finished, she leaned forward and put her hands on the table.

Shane relaxed and reached over to cover her hands with his. "I can do that."