The Hand of Death Ch. 23

Story Info
Weddings and war.
7.8k words
4.81
888
7

Part 23 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XXIII

"Variation in Tactics"

"The Art of War"

~by Sun Tzu~

After a month of digging Grandfather and I had to stop. Junghai and Jute's wedding was

tomorrow and we had to get ready. Because of their friendship with me there were many well-known faces attending. I felt a small sense of responsibility to them for the extra guests so my gift to them was to pay for the food and drink at the reception. When I found out over 800 people would be attending, I thought about giving them a pink hakokaidan stairway chest instead.

My mother, along with uncle Tozasu and aunt Pe were back in Goemon Toshi. They would be attending along with Shogun Eita and his wife. The Machi-bugyo and her betrothed, as well as Daimyo Masao and his wife Kumiko. From my house, I brought Sashi and his gang, Masakari and the rest of my men, and Brother Soryo, our new monk. An odd name for a young man but he was very nice and my heimin loved him. Of course I brought Aya-aiko and my lovely lady Shingan.

The wedding was beautiful. I did not know Jute's father was still alive but I quickly found out when he was the one walking her down the aisle. He was an old man but still in very good health and he seemed to be just beaming with pride as he looked at all who were in attendance. I never told you this but Jute was born eta. Her first husband was a stonemason. He died after a few years of marriage from spirits on the brain. It was after his death that she became involved with the criminal element of the Toshi. Now to have his little eta daughter marrying a Koga Samurai, retired maybe and a crime lord for a certainty, but samurai none the less. The man was very proud of her.

Jute for her part was demure as is the custom at weddings. She was resplendent in her white gown, headdress and makeup. She kept her eyes on the floor the whole time but you could see her smiling. I knew from experience this would be the last time you would ever see her this submissive but, for once, I kept it to myself.

Her father walked her to the altar where Junghai and the Shinto priest waited. Junghai was still a very intimidating man even when happy. He wore the traditional black Kimono with the Shotoku crest over his heart in white. But once he took her hand and turned towards the priest you could see a large Koga crest on his back. The ceremony went smoothly and Junghai delivered the wedding oath clearly with just enough volume to be heard by all. The man appeared to be meant for public speaking.

Once the ceremony ended we all cheered and proceeded to the reception in front of the temple where large shades had been hung for the guests' comfort. As their closest friend of the nobility it was my role to play host for them with any of the noble cast at the wedding, a role which provided everyone with a smirk whenever they saw me. The reception lasted two hours and everyone was full and drunk by the end of it. It was a great day.

It was not long after the wedding that I found New Years was upon us again. The time had flown. Just a few months of farming and training and then it was time for Aya-aiko to go to the Bei-oshi. It had been my nineteenth New Year. So we masked our celebration of Aya's acceptance into the Bei-oshi as a grand New Year's party. A few days later we left for Shiro no Shotoku. Shingan and my men came with me to escort us.

The trip was nice though it was obvious by her many questions that Aya was nervous. Shingan and I answered them as best we could. It was funny to see how excited she was. Once we got to the castle, I was pleasantly surprised to see that we were met at the gate by Yoshio and Masao. We walked up to them and bowed. Yoshio invited her into his town while the rest of us followed.

Masao asked me quietly, "Is she ready?"

I smiled. "More than most... You look nervous."

He looked at me. "I guess I am. There are no guarantees here."

I nodded. "Does she know who you are?" He shook his head. "The only thing worse than a disloyal assassin, is an assassin with a grudge. I would recommend you have that conversation with her. But, after she passes the Bei-oshi."

"I am not sure I can."

"With all respect to you, my lord, you had better find a way. That girl is already very

dangerous."

Aya was very flattered that our Daimyo had come to see her off to class. He took some time to converse with her while Yoshio informed me that the last class had only lost 35 students. The one before had only lost 15. That was the class whose 10 ninjas I used for the Hokkaido mission.

"I was hoping that you might be persuaded to give a speech to this class when they start

tomorrow," he said.

"Yoshio sama, you know how much I love the sound of my own voice. Of course I will do it." I smiled.

He laughed as we walked on to his suite at the top of the castle. Nihonto was looking lovely with her new baby daughter, Okami, and their son, Wajima, heir to the Shotoku throne. He was about 10 years of age and seemed to be very interested in what I thought about anything. Being a favorite uncle is easy when you live two days away. He was excited to see me but leaned in for a moment and asked,

"How long will you stay this time?"

I gave a mild shake of the head, "There is no set time for us to leave so I can stay for as long as you need me. What is wrong, Wajima san?"

"I have some personal news I wanted to discuss with you. I just wanted to make sure you did not leave before I got the chance, Hiro sama."

I nodded. "Alright. Aya is starting class tomorrow and I will not get the chance to see her again for a year. Can you wait until the day after tomorrow?"

He looked a little disappointed. "I was hoping it would be after your speech to the ninja

tomorrow."

I looked a little stunned. "How do you even know that exists?"

He looked affronted. "I am to be the Shotoku. I know everything."

I was just about to say something really good when Shingan covered my mouth. I could hear her laughing. Wajima smiled, bowed and left.

We spent the evening with Yoshio and in the morning toured the castle and town. I made sure to take everyone by "The Loyal Koga" for some tea. Taiki was always happy to see me, especially with his Daimyo and family in tow. He was speechless when he realized Daimyo Masao was with us. He had never seen Masao before. I made introductions and we had a very nice meal with our tea. As good as the visit was though, we eventually had to leave for Aya to make her appointment. We all dropped her off and said our goodbyes. It would be a few hours before they were done running them through the grinder that was the first day of the Bei-oshi. And though we would see each other at my speech, we would not have the chance to talk. I was a little sad. After two years of having the girl around, I realized I would miss her and her annoying curiosity. We all went back to Yoshio's gardens. They were very nice but I was feeling down. I had wandered off to a secluded spot but Wajima found me and sat next to me on the bench.

"Hiro sssssama," he said in mock sarcasm.

I hadn't realized he knew some of my oldest peasant friends addressed me in that manner.

"Come to kick me while I am down, boy?" I said in mock sternness.

He smiled. "No. I just thought now would be a good time to talk to you. It is a few hours before your speech."

"True... What is it you are so curious about, Wajima san?"

He took a breath to calm himself. "My father told me about the 'War of the Wolf.' He felt I was old enough to know the truth."

"Are you?" He thought a little and nodded. "What did he tell you?"

"...That you killed 45 people that night."

"Is that all that matters?" I asked. He shook his head. "What else then?"

"Once father told me about it I went and talked to mother. She told me how she awoke to ninja everywhere but managed to get to her sword and how she killed four of them and was holding off two more. She expected support from her people who she thought were still alive in the castle."

"In those days it was more of a house. It even had a porch on the front of it."

He looked a little surprised. "Truly?"

I nodded. "Yes. Did she not mention how we escorted the two of you to the porch?"

"Yes. I just assumed she meant the porch of another building or a balcony of the castle."

"I have interrupted your story. Gomen nasai, please continue."

"She stood there waiting for the next attack when a boy came in. Bloody hands and his sword was sheathed. He just strolled in like nothing scared him and looked at her. One of the ninja said "Hiro." It was the first time she had heard your name and the man said it like he was asking you to deal with a troublesome mess."

"That is how I remember it as well. That ninja was Grandfather by the way."

He nodded. "She was not sure which one had said it."

"All of that is accurate, Wajima. So what is your question?"

He paused a moment. "She thought it was a joke until she looked in your eyes and then she knew. She knew she was dead. Before you even drew your sword, she said she knew it."

"She did not show it."

He went on. "Then when you were just about to kill us... you stopped." He looked at me.

"And I am very glad I did. The world would be a dimmer place without you two. But what is it that concerns you so much?"

"Why?... Why did you stop?"

"Ohhhhhhh... Many things stopped me. I had killed 31 children that night and I was sick of it. I was covered in blood and did not want to see any more. The last samurai-ko in Shiro Toyama had killed four shinobi, proving she deserved to live. But most of all," I looked at him. "I stopped because you started crying."

"...Do you think you made the right choice?"

"Why? Are you having thoughts of changing the family name to Wajima when you gain the throne?"

He laughed a little. "No... But I might tell father that when I want to bother him..." He smiled and had a dreamy look in his eye. "But a Wajima is going to inherit the throne. Does that not bother you? You are Shotoku."

I shook my head. "You are Shotoku. You may have been born Wajima but Goemon's blood runs through your veins now."

He smiled. "Domo arigato, Hiro."

I patted his back. "Come. Let us see what the others are up to."

My speech went well. Yoshio and Masao went with me though they just observed. The ninja seemed to catch the importance of it and I was pleased that I could spare them Sense Shi's "You're all gonna die" speech. I looked at Aya several times during my speech. It looked like she was doing fine. I knew I would see her again. We stayed with Yoshio for another week before heading back to our homes. It had been a good visit but we all had things to take care of.

I did check in with Hisao periodically. The conversations were good. I made sure he understood I did not want control. He was doing a sound job and I didn't want to cause any issues. He had been sent 60 men instead of the 30 he expected and was very happy. He had quickly put them into key positions in his business. The toshi's crime world was ours. I explained I would just be by once a month to make sure all was well and that he could contact me if he ever needed anything.

Koruko had been very helpful in his time with us. The man was a natural spymaster. I had used him in Nigata to assist Hisao on many occasions. Any extra information could be a life saver in his situation. Koruko also still had many contacts in Goemon as well as across Giapan. But I did notice Masao would call him back to Goemon Toshi from time to time. Koruko never gave any details and I never asked past the, "Are you OK?" It got to be where we didn't think anything of it.

Daimyo Masao came to visit officially several times over the next year. Nothing to do with Koruko from what I could tell. He was checking on the Ashigaru, who by the way, had become superb. He was very impressed and had started training the same kind of forces in several of his small towns. The remote ones at first so as to cut down on any publicity the program might have drawn. We got several visits from other Daimyo and Kokujin so that we could help to make the transition easier for them and their troops. When Masao did visit he always brought news of Aya-aiko. Apparently she had been listening to all of the stories people told her about me.

She had been in a team of ninja returning from the front line of the Bandai war with the

Karafuto. They had passed safely through to the Honshu territory when they came across several Oni tracks. The sensei said they had to leave it alone but she said, "These people are Honshu. They respect the Koga."

Then she pulled her hood on and followed the tracks. The other five students and the sensei donned their hoods and followed her to a group of Oni, about 12 large horned monstrosities quietly waiting to attack a village. They could overhear the Oni planning to wait for the attack until late when most of the samurai were asleep. The sensei sent two ninja to warn the Honshu, who were nervous at first. The ninja returned and waited while the Honshu left many of the mononofu visible to the Oni like nothing had changed. The rest left from the far side of the village and waited a short distance away, where her team had sent them. When the fight came it started with the ninja throwing every explosive and flash ball they had. They harassed the Oni until the Honshu could get there and manage to kill a few for themselves. Once the fight was done the Honshu looked around but all of the Ninja were gone. I love a good heartwarming story. I was so proud of her. I could tell Masao was proud as well. I think he liked telling the stories more than I enjoyed hearing them.

One night Shingan and I were lying in bed. I could feel her hand tracing the tattoos on my chest. It was a pleasant feeling and I was just about to fall asleep.

Then I heard her say, "My father has arranged a marriage for me... OW. OW. OW. OW."

I let go of her arm. "Gomen nasai. I did not realize I was holding your arm." I said.

She sat up and started rubbing the spot where I had gripped her too hard, while staring at me. "It is alright."

I cleared my throat. "I will go talk to the man and take care of this."

She shook her head. "No. He is my father. You will not 'go talk to the man.' We will respect his wishes."

I rolled my head a little bit. My neck was feeling tense. "What are his wishes?"

She shrugged. "He has found a promising marriage for me. A Shogun Kazuki in Shiro no

Aogashima."

I shook my head. "Why would he not come and negotiate with me to marry you? I would think, with very little ego involved of course," she rolled her eyes at me, "that a Kokujin would be a better match than a Shogun."

"I am not sure. Maybe he does not know anything about us."

I nodded. "Where is Aogashima?"

She looked at me sternly. "You mean, my home?" I nodded slowly. "It is the farthest island off the coast of the Fujibayashi lands. It is used for the storage of secrets by our House... mostly."

"So it is remote?" She nodded. "Then this is probably a simple misunderstanding. He

probably has no idea I exist. I just need to talk to h..."

"No. No. No. You do not know my father. He is stubborn and prone to make people frustrated."

"I am sure it will be fine."

She cocked her head to the side and looked at me like I was stupid. "Do you know what you are like when you are frustrated?"

I paused a moment. "I know it is not good." She didn't say anything. "I should send

Kubikiri?"

"Yes." She whispered and nodded.

The next day I sent Kira to fly Kubikiri to Shingan's father. As a measure of my sincerity I included a purse of 500 gold pieces. The next few days passed well enough. We went to take part in the Kara-Te practice with Brother Soryo. His area had a small shrine with a house I had built for him along with a large practice yard. There were large wooden gazebos built on all sides of the yard. I had drafted all of my men and officers to help me build them on the day Brother Soryo arrived.

When the heimin and hinin finished their work for the day they tried to pitch in but I made them sit in the shade and watch. Soryo thought that was the best entertainment ever. My men were wise enough to take the lesson in humility and not say a word. Not long after they had left, Kira returned with Kubikiri. He did not look happy.

I walked over to him and asked, "What did he say?"

"My Kokujin, the man is very proud."

"It sounds like he is about to be very dead." I didn't realize Shingan had come up behind me. She just looked at me like she was extremely mad at me. I turned back to Kubikiri and asked, more calmly, "What happened exactly?"

"Your lady's father is a Gunso under Shogun Kazuki so from his perspective it is very flattering that his Shogun wants to marry his daughter.."

I nodded, "Did the money insult him?"

"What money?" Shingan asked me.

"The 500 gold pieces did not help, my lord."

"You tried to buy me?" she said.

I looked at her. "Five hundred gold pieces is not a 'buy.' For 500 I not only get you but if you die I get your soul."

"And it worked great, did it not?!" she spat back.

"He was going to say no, no matter what I did!" I yelled.

Then she screamed something at me and took a swing at my head. I blocked and tried to elbow her but she slid out of the way. I do not remember what we were yelling at each other but I'm pretty sure it was ugly. Somewhere in the shoving and hitting and yelling Kira of all people stepped between us.

"HEY!!!" She had a hand on each of us and was pushing us apart. "It does not matter! Daimyo Masao has ordered the two of you," she looked at Shingan, "and your father to Goemon Toshi!"

We took a few moments to grumble at each other before I asked, "When?"

"Now, my Kokujin. He sent flyers to Gunso Raijin and his Shogun in order to bring them as well."

"How long will it take for them to get to Goemon?" I asked Kira.

"They are there now. Masao's flyers arrived soon after we landed in Shiro no Aogashima. He has two more coming for you two."

I nodded while Shingan and I continued to stare at each other. Kira wouldn't move out of the way. Soon the flyers arrived and bowed to us.

"Kokujin Hiro?" I nodded "I am Shotoku Ryuko. My friend and I are to fly you and

Taisa Shingan to Goemon Toshi."

I nodded again and got into the harness. Shingan did the same with her man. Thankfully it is very windy when you fly so that helped give us an excuse for not trying to talk. We landed on a balcony on the far side of the third floor from Masao's meeting hall. Once we got out of our harnesses I escorted Shingan to the hall. We found her father and a man who I assumed was Shogun Kazuki.

Shingan greeted her father and introduced me to them. He did not look impressed. The look I was trying to convey was one of "THIS WOULD BE A LOT EASIER WITH YOU DEAD." Or something to that effect. The Shogun seemed to get it. He was very polite.

The four of us sat and waited for Daimyo Masao. It was a very quiet wait. Shingan had kept looking at the floor since we walked into her father's presence. It is tradition and would not bother me but for some reason it made me want to lean over and slice an ear off of his head. I was just thinking how much better he would look without ears when I heard Masao being announced.

We all stood and bowed. He returned the bow and sat in front of us. Gunso Raijin and Shogun Kazuki were on his left while Shingan and I sat on his right.

Masao said, "We apparently have a problem, my friends."

That is when The Gunso began berating him about his rights as a father and the Shogun would interrupt with how he had been made promises by her father. Masao let this go on for a while. He even looked over at us while we sat there quietly. Shingan with her head down and me just watching angrily.