Henrick and the Ghost Maid Ch. 01-03

Story Info
An occult researcher meets a cute but cursed ghost maid.
4.1k words
4.52
19.2k
72

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/23/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SciFurz
SciFurz
2,069 Followers

*The first story I wrote involving ghosts.

The main characters also sparked the idea for sequels with an anti-occult scientist haunted by a special slime girl and a village seemingly terrorised by a werewolf.

*

Chapter 01

It all began when I received an anonymous letter about a manor in the country.

It said, "To Henrick van Schwaffle", that's me, "When I heard you were a researcher in occult matters I immediately intended to let you know about a situation that has been going on since the death of Lord Blackfire, who resided at his manor north of Stoke On Alwater in Brambleshire.

At the time of his death, some thirty-three years ago and under suspicion of unnatural cause, his servants had gone missing, and the manor has been the sight of seemingly otherworldly activity since.

Lights have been seen behind windows, people entering the grounds for various reasons have gone missing or were found in the grip of lunacy miles away, and there are reports of sounds at night while no one could be seen making them.

Police has ruled out criminal causes and are unable to investigate further, advising anyone to keep away who has no business there lest they get into an accident.

There is no known family or others who could inherit the manor and any other possible possessions, so there's no reward given to solve this mysterious case, but I thought you might have a professional interest in this."

Signed, "A member of the occult curiosa society".

That was it. No names or return address, no postage either so it must have been hand delivered. Also strange was that the edge of the paper had brownish colour in some parts, and a faint scent of smoke raised the suspicion those were burn marks.

I put it aside to think about my decision to investigate or not. But it got me very curious.

And that's how I found myself standing inside the dark entrance hall from a large manor out in the country, with my luggage and my coat dripping from the rain.

I remembered deciding to have a look because my last few occult investigations only turned out to be natural causes as in mice and bugs creeping around at night, and a very shrewd raven stealing food through a loose upper window. I also remembered taking the train to Binsbury, then hiring a carriage to take me here, but not how I actually arrived at the grounds and entered the manor. That span of time was a rather blank period. I wondered if that was just a taste of what was to come. And it was.

Thunder rolled outside, flashes of lightning lit up the hall through windows blurred by rain streaming down them. The noise echoed lightly inside from the polished light grey stone floor and walls along with the patter of water dripping down from my coat onto the floor. There was no draft, so I assumed all windows and doors in the manor were unbroken.

Decorations in the hall were sparse. A few paintings with landscapes and probably ancestors of Lord Blackfire, slender tables with an empty vase or small statue, thick carpets leading to hallways to my left, the back, and the wide stone stairs in front of me.

I turned back to the large oaken front doors. Locked. Although I didn't remember, I'm sure no one had let me inside, locked the doors, then vanished. I was forced to stay the night here. Then again, I had planned on doing so anyway.

I took my two large suitcases upstairs hoping to find a bedroom I could use. Judging from the lack of dust and cobwebs I was convinced I'd find a bed in good condition. And I did indeed at the first room I tried. It looked like a smaller guest bedroom because I found no personal items, but it was complete with fireplace, wash basin, wardrobe, and a bath in the corner. The bed was soft and luxurious, the sheets, blankets, and pillows obviously changed not more than some months ago. Someone, or something, still kept the place neat and tidy all these years.

I unpacked my belongings after setting a fire and placing the stones for the bed warmer in it. Slipping into a warm bed would be great joy after the tiresome journey. A small desk provided enough room to place my instruments on. The electro-force meter showed no activity, nor did the aura gauge and the mana compass. I put on my spectrum goggles, checked the room, and found it to be negative in spirit signatures.

The stones were hot enough by now and I used them in the bed warmer to warm up the bed while I dressed in my night gown and picked one of my books and the bottle of wine out of my suitcase before slipping between the warm sheets.

I was a few pages into the works of professor Ambrosius and the chapter he wrote on his trip to the Middle East to investigate genies in bottles, when I heard a faint noise at the door. A quick glance at the aura gauge that I had kept beside me told me it was still at neutral. The separation of the blue and red fluids inside the slender glass tube was still at the zero mark. Whatever happened at the door was probably no spirit activity then. Once more there was noise as if someone leaned against it.

I yawned, put my book away, blew out the candle, and pretended to lay down to sleep. Instead, I slipped out on the other side of the bed, crawled along the wall towards the door, and yanked it open.

Nothing. Just the empty hallway lit by the occasional lightning flash. I went out into the hallway, checked left and right and the stairs, and went back to bed concluding it must have been a draft or mouse or something. Falling asleep was easy in the comfortable softness with the noise of the thunderstorm fading away outside.

Chapter 02

I woke up feeling refreshed and stepped out of bed with a little regret at leaving such a comfortable spot, but the prospect of exploring the manor and the possibility of occult phenomenon made me excited enough to start as soon as I could.

I dressed in my black coverall, put on my belt with tools to attach my various instruments on, put notebook, pencil, short candles, and matches in my pockets, and checked my instruments.

I designed these myself from technical knowledge collected from occult reference books. My mana compass to point to the strongest source of spiritual energy was a glass ball covered in a thin copper mesh with a needle inside, just like a regular compass but it could point in any direction. My electro-force meter looked like a regular meter with two antennas attached, and it measured the strength of electricity charged presences. I hooked these to my belt along with the aura gauge to detect negative or positive presences and took my spectrum goggles. These copper framed thick violet glasses with leather strap are for seeing the difference in reality of materials. I put them on together with sturdy leather gloves and headed out.

Although it should have been a bright morning according to the time on my watch, outside it was a dark grey light while rain continued coming down. Wind blew it gently against the windows. I didn't mind because it wouldn't affect my measurements.

I began by following the hallway in one direction. Most spirit sightings at haunted places had been at upper floors so there was a larger chance of detecting something on this floor first. Here as well stood the occasional small table with a statue of a graceful woman or animal like a deer or horse. More portraits that convinced me they were from the lord's family. The same thick eyebrows, sharp nose, and the eyes that pierced right through you, even in paint and observed through my goggles. The depressing light shining through the windows completed the creepy mood.

If the portraits weren't watching me, something else was. My instruments didn't detect anything, but my subconscious sensed it. I tapped the electro-force meter. 'Maybe it's not sensitive enough.' I muttered. 'I can't scientifically submit feelings in the back of my head though.' One stroke of my gloved finger across the surface of the table made one thing certain. 'Whoever is doing the housekeeping here is doing a great job. I'd like it if they could do mine.'

A faint rustle and knock on wood behind me startled me. I turned around at once but there was nothing but the empty hallway. Peering at one of the tables with a statue of a woman pouring a water jar, I wondered if it had slightly changed position. I doubted it had, and that I heard things right because of the rain coming down against the windows, so I continued my exploration.

That something still kept a presence here and guarded the manor became obvious when I came across several ornamental silver candleholders. I examined them carefully and they were clean with fresh candles in them. Thieves would have stolen these at first sight. I had no interest in the monetary value though and left them in their place after measuring them for residual activity.

At random I checked paintings and the occasional slender wall rug, and apart from admiring the art and their perfect state I didn't get any impression of spiritual influences. As I sat back on a windowsill I had to compliment the housekeeping again and I still couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

I went on exploring seemingly endless hallways large and small, taking corners, going up and down stairs, and had a strong hunch I was lost. It had to be reality getting warped.

My stomach made itself known. I hadn't thought of bringing something to eat along and being lost made me regret it even more. On top of that a thunderstorm welled up outside and rumbled gently in the distance. I sighed. I hoped I'd find my room back soon. Sticking to hallways at the front of the manor seemed like the best option to find my way back. I strode to the end of the hallway where I saw lightning flash through a window and turned the corner.

And bumped into her.

For a moment time stood still long enough to see what was in front of me. A short black maid dress without shoulders, with a white bust and frilly underskirt and tied up at the back, a black cap with white frilled edge at my eye height, black fingerless gloves with white frilly wrists, and white socks coming up to just below the knees in flat black soft shoes.

The white bow on her behind I only saw when she ran away from me.

This was it! The haunting presence of the manor! I bolted after her, ignoring the racket of the tools and instruments on my belt hitting each other as I ran. The procedures of measuring her and imagining presenting her at the next occult science conference filled my thoughts. The non-believers who ridiculed me would have to apologise profusely.

I followed her as she ran through narrow, half lit corridors, turned a corner, ran up a flight of creaky stairs, and dashed into one of the doors at the top. I went through the doorway just before the door closed and found her huddled into a corner of the small room. I panted hard. Never before had I ran this fast. Not even as a kid.

I could see the uniform clearly through my goggles, so it had to be real and not exactly part of the ghost herself. I checked my instruments for a reading but if they registered anything it was so minute I couldn't make it out. I tapped them, then held them close to her.

Her gloves trembled while they pressed tight against her bust. Then I noticed her socks were pulled close as well. 'Good grief!' I said and stepped back at once. 'I'm terribly sorry!' I took off my goggles quickly. 'I didn't mean to scare you, my dear lady. My name is Henrick van Schwaffle, I'm just an occult scientist and not here to harm you.' Now I also realised where I was. The sparse furniture of a bed, a table and chair, and a wardrobe with another maid uniform hanging from it made it clear I had barged into this lady's bedroom.

I rushed out at once, closing the door behind me and my face red hot from shame. 'I'm so very sorry! My deepest and most sincere apologies! I've been an utter idiot for not realising it sooner!' I sighed. 'It's no excuse, but I got so excited when I saw you I forgot to be a gentleman first before being a scientist. I was too happy to meet proof of my endeavours.' I took a deep breath. 'So once again, I meant no harm and I hope you can forgive me.'

I waited for a while in silence, wondering if maybe she had disappeared already and if I could take a peek inside. But then I wouldn't forgive myself for acting like a scoundrel. I expected I wouldn't get to see her again and that I lost the best opportunity in my career so far, when I heard a soft creaking of the door behind me.

The door opened up a crack and I saw one glove at the edge. I bowed my head, clutching my goggles. 'Once more my deepest apologies, my dear lady. I have intruded upon your domain in a horribly shameful manner, unbefitting the gentleman I strive to be.'

The door opened further after a short hesitation and she stepped out carefully.

'I hope you can forgive this fool.' I said. Her gloves came together in front of her skirt and her cap tilted in a nod. I smiled a little in relief. 'Thank you ever so much.'

Chapter 03

I didn't knew what to say next but my stomach saved me from one embarrassment with another. My face turned red again while I saw one glove going up to where her mouth would be and her cap shaking a little.

'You think that's funny, don't you?' I said with a chuckle. It was kind of funny to see a ghost maid giggle through her uniform. I sighed again at the silly situation. 'I need to find the bedroom I'm using again. I brought a little food with me.' She nodded once and gestured for me to follow her.

The thunder had ceased and while we walked the wiggle of her bow kept grabbing my attention and made me think about what she looked like when she was alive. I doubted I'd ever see her face, servants were usually not the source of portrait paintings.

The wiggle of her bow stopped and woke me from my daydream. We were in front of my room. 'Ah. Thank you.' I said and opened the door. 'I doubt you need to eat, and a bedroom is not a decent place for a lady, but I would like to invite you for a talk.'

She looked away.

'Is there a study nearby where we can talk? If it's all right with you, of course. I don't want to impose, even if I did come here to investigate the haunting.'

Her hand went up to her mouth in a thinking gesture, then pointed to the hallway on the other side of the stairs.

'You have somewhere in mind?'

She nodded.

'Okay, let me get my things.' I said and looked down at my clothes. 'And some better attire.'

A minute later I stepped out of my bedroom with a small bag containing my meal and notebook. 'Please, lead the way.' I said to the ghost maid.

She led me to a study with a couple of comfortable chairs in front of a fireplace and two large bookcases at the side walls. There was firewood and soon I had a good fire going to warm the chilly room. I unpacked the bread and cheese with the wine and placed it on a table just in front of the chairs.

The maid still stood next to the other chair. 'Please, sit.' I said and gestured at the seat. 'I don't feel comfortable if you keep standing.' She looked at the chair and I saw the hesitation in her movements. 'Please. I understand it might seem inappropriate at one time, but that's all in the past now.'

She sat down and I smiled. For a moment I imagined her legs as she sat and I quickly looked away, chiding myself for such improper thoughts.

I cleared my throat and cut a slice of bread and cheese to distract myself with eating. I took my notebook and wrote down her description for my report.

'Would you care to answer some questions for my investigation?' I asked and she nodded. 'The reason I came here is because of a letter I received from an unknown writer. It stated this manor was haunted and people who came here had gone missing or mad. As an occult expert I couldn't waste the opportunity and came here as soon as I could.' I leaned back into the chair. 'Can you tell me more about it?'

She nodded first, then shook her head.

I hummed. 'Do you mean you could, but you're prevented from saying anything?'

She shook her head.

I pondered. 'Oh, you mean you know about the haunting, but not about the missing and mad men?'

She nodded.

I was glad I had something to start with. 'Did you become a ghost when Lord Blackfire died?'

She gave a small nod.

'The rest of the servants too?'

Another small nod.

'Did he practice any dark arts?'

Nod.

'Magic of the sort? Devil or demon worship?'

Nod.

I hummed as I pondered the possible risks. 'Is he the cause of the haunting?'

Firm nod.

'But I haven't seen anything yet.' I said to myself. I turned back to her. 'Could it be he isn't always active?'

She nodded.

'So something triggers him to appear?'

Another nod.

I pondered what it could be. I thought of the men who went missing or mad. What did they do here? And then it hit me. 'They tried to steal valuables, right?'

Her nod confirmed it. I only examined the place. I didn't come to steal anything. I hummed and nodded in satisfaction about the first clue.

She held up her hands gesturing for me to keep seated while she stood up. She went to one bookcase, took out a book, held it in front of me and tapped it.

It was a book about the Roman empire and I looked up at her. 'Lord Blackfire is Italian? He sent those men to the lions?'

She shook her head, took my pencil and made writing gestures.

'Ah! He wrote a book? A diary perhaps?'

She nodded.

'Excellent! That would be a great source to find out what happened.' I said. 'Do you know where it is?'

She slumped a little and shook her head.

I gave her a gentle smile. 'That's okay. You've been very helpful and gave me a direction to search in.'

She perked up and placed the book back into the case. I got the feeling she hadn't received much praise in her life.

With the right questions I found out the cook and gardener that lived here, and the lord's dog, had all been turned to ghosts at the lord's death but she had no contact with them. All she'd been doing through the years was keeping the place in order. She also hardly remembered anything about her life as a human and even forgot her name, the curse placed on her had erased most of her memories.

Tiredness hit me and I saw it was late on my watch. 'Time to get some rest.' I said and she nodded. 'Do you sleep?'

She shook her head.

'I suspected so.' I said, gathered my belongings and held out my hand to her to help her out of the chair. The touch of her hand in mine was cool, but not cold, and soft. It felt good.

I walked her to the door and opened it. Thunder struck and the next moment she clung to me and trembled. 'You're afraid of thunder?'

She gave a quick nod.

I put my arm around her to comfort her. 'Shall I escort you to your room? I'd hate to let you go alone like this.'

I couldn't see her face but her nod looked grateful to me.

She held my arm as we walked and it stopped her trembling. It also made me feel a little warm under the collar as I felt a certain firm softness of her anatomy press against my arm. Ghost or not, there was no mistaking her being something other than a woman.

With a mix of relief and regret we arrived at her room while low rumbling rolled faintly in the background. I gave her a nod and a smile. 'Good night, my dear lady, and I hope you'll grace me with your presence in the morning.'

She nodded cheerfully while fiddling with the hem of her dress.

I looked back once as I went down the stairs and she held up her hand in a little wave in her doorway. I smiled while I thought how glad I was to have met her. Maybe she'd allow me to take some readings later to check my instruments or design a new way of detection. But it was fine if she'd just kept me company. Maybe I could teach her to write a little while I was here, that would make communicating much easier.

I turned a corner and halted.

SciFurz
SciFurz
2,069 Followers
12