Following the Feeling Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kiera rinsed out her mouth before replying, "I have my own car, Gray, you don't need to chaperone me."

Gray took a deep breath before walking up to Kiera and wrapping his arms around her waist.

"I know you can drive yourself," he said, resting his chin on her shoulder. "But I'd feel better if I drove you."

Capturing his gaze in the mirror, Kiera conceded. "Fine, you can drive me around today."

At his grin she continued, "Don't think that I'm always going to let you get your way."

Gray kissed her neck then murmured against it, "I don't ever expect to get my way with you, sweetheart, but a guy has to try."

** ** *** ** **

They drove into the city quietly, Gray concentrating on the drive and Kiera admiring the sleek ride of his sports car. Apparently being top wolf had its advantages, she thought. They arrived at the Hub, where Grayson escorted her to his condo without stopping to speak with the other wolves who tried to capture his attention. Kiera couldn't read any hostility from the others, but there was a wary curiosity that made her wonder what they knew about the Alpha's relationship. In his condo, a small, but neat living space, Grayson again offered to share a shower. At her refusal he showed her how to work the TV remote then excused himself. Never one for television, Kiera used the unsupervised time to explore Gray's home. She found everything in order, almost too neat for a bachelor, and nothing interesting other than some pictures of him with an older looking man. With her senses on high alert she was able to be back on the couch and watching a game show before he emerged from his bedroom, looking fresh and delicious.

"Find anything good?" He asked with an arched brow.

"What makes you think I snooped," she retorted.

Joining her on the couch Grayson pulled her into his arms. "Because you're a woman. Women always snoop."

An elbow jab to his side was her only response.

They relaxed companionably for awhile, watching TV and arguing about the pricing game they watched. When the show ended Kiera could sense how tired Gray was and suggested they take a nap. With a gleam in his eyes, Grayson escorted her to his large bedroom, stripped them down to their undergarments and guided her into his bed.

Kiera tried to sleep after Grayson dozed off, but found herself unable to. Instead she focused on the feelings of the pack as they went about their daily tasks. It was comforting to know that the werewolves felt very similar to normals. They had their own fears and happiness and even boredom. It felt...normal.

Beside her Gray slept peacefully although she noticed that any shift of her body caused him to tighten his grip on her. It wasn't aggressive, but it wasn't what she was used to either. When she shared a bed with her friends they didn't notice any of her movements. But with Gray, she felt like he was very aware of her even in sleep and didn't dare let her move away from him. The thought made her reflect on his statement that she was his mate. It was a foreign term, and she didn't know what he really wanted from her. A bed mate? A girlfriend or wife? Did werewolves cling to anyone they slept with?

The thoughts swirled in her head until Gray's phone rang. He grunted in his sleep, but didn't make any move to answer. As soon as it beeped to voicemail, the phone rang again. And again. As the fourth series of rings started Kiera nudged at Grayson.

In response, his hands started traveling over her body. It was a different sort of intimacy that she was unfamiliar with and tried to move away. Suddenly she found herself pinned down with Grayson looming over her, his sleep laden eyes open but unfocused. Grayson bent down to kiss her neck. The tingling warmth aroused her, but the phone began its insistent ring.

"Gray," she whispered against his neck as he kissed her jaw, "your phone."

"Forget it." He murmured as his lips traveled down to her breasts. His seduction was nearly unbearable.

Nearly, but not quite. Kiera gripped Grayson's hair and pulled him up.

"Your phone," she said sternly.

With a groan he rolled over and reached for his phone. As he scrolled through missed calls, it started to ring again.

"This is Grayson," he answered with a gruff voice. Kiera smiled at his tone, sensing the irritation he felt at the intrusion.

"Can it wait? Uh-huh, right. Okay I'll be there in ten minutes." With a brisk movement Gray hung up the phone.

He sighed, looked over at Kiera and sighed again.

The irritation had morphed into something colder, something angry.

"What is it?"

Gray sat up in bed and turned away from her before answering.

"The trackers are back, they caught the rogue wolf and he's in our custody." He looked over his shoulder. "They want me to be there for questioning."

The idyll of the past few days slipped away as Kiera relived the moments her life was in danger. She understood his anger now, and understood that his obligation to the pack superseded their time alone.

Sitting up Kiera said, "We need to go."

"No."

Grayson stood to pull on his clothes. Kiera didn't need to see his face or set of his shoulders to sense the tension that was rising in him.

"You stay here," he commanded. "I'll go interrogate the bastard and find out who hired him to attack you."

Kiera argued, "That won't work. Amber said he's just a hired thug and doesn't have any pertinent information. I can find out more from him than you can."

Incredulous Grayson snapped, "How? By searching his feelings? You're an empath, Kiera, not a mind reader. I can make him talk. Now you stay here and don't move or I will have to confine you."

Kiera gritted her teeth, but said nothing. Grayson didn't understand her ability no more than she understood his. It was an impasse that needed to be addressed, but she knew he wouldn't listen. He was too damn stubborn to listen.

"Fine. Go."

Grayson's slitted eyes contradicted his soft hand on her face. He stared into her eyes as if trying to determine how angry she felt. But he couldn't read her like she could him and didn't know of her ability to hide her feelings from her expression.

"I'll be back soon," he promised in soft tones.

Kiera accepted the kiss he placed upon her lips and didn't move as he walked out the bedroom. When the sound of the front door closing reached her ears, Kiera leapt out of bed and got dressed. She waited until she sensed Grayson was further away before pulling open the front door and striding out.

Waiting, be damned she thought. She was going to get answers.

12