Better Than Chocolate

Story Info
A review on the film by Anne Wheeler.
965 words
4.31
31k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chicklet
Chicklet
231 Followers

'Better than Chocolate' is a delightful film that can be enjoyed by any age group. The story is one that is told well and imprints itself into the minds of its viewers. The movie comes across as a romantic comedy, the relationship of characters Kim and Maggie being a basic tale of love at first sight and then blossoming and finally being tested by hardship, but the story has so many other elements that the viewer cannot help but be carried away into the lives of the characters.

We have two basic romantic tales; Kim and Maggie falling head over heels for each other at first sight and Judy's pursuit of Frances. The first could be straight out of Hollywood romance if it weren't for the lovers both being female, and the tension between Judy and Frances is one that everyone can relate to; a crush on a reluctant lover. The younger generation feels for Kim and Maggie, rooting for their romance to blossom and for the two girls to finally admit their love for one another.

The older generation may feel the same, but for them the story of Maggie's naïve mother has been added to the tale. Lila has been rejected by her husband and as a result is looking for a place to stay. When she comes back into Maggie's life, Maggie is torn between being happy that her mother is around again and being miserable for the same reason. The mother/daughter conflict is amazingly realistic, and makes viewers relate to the two characters. The generation gap is made obvious through the disputes the pair have, the arguments they get in to, and the misunderstandings they have for each other.

Another part of the story is the battle against discrimination against gays and lesbians. Frances' battle with customs, for instance, brings up points in many parts of the film. Using humor and also some painful truths the movie describes vandalism and hate crimes, showing people yelling obscenities at the characters from even the first scene of the movie. Discrimination happens even among the inner culture, some groups despising other groups of misfits. Judy is a man undergoing an operation to turn himself into the woman he feels that he is. His/her struggle to fit in with the group of lesbians is an emotional one, from his/her love life to his/her relationship with the parents who rejected him/her.

Throughout the story we are given glimpses of a great inner culture, and to further extenuate that lifestyle a unique score has been added. Using music by a number of artists including Ani Defranco, Tammy Greer, and Kerry Brook, Anne Wheeler has created a great sound that will forever be linked with the independence of the film. The music in the background as well as the music characters play in the movie creates a wonderful, stimulating mental picture that you can walk away from the film humming.

Another aspect of the film that left me in awe was the use of color and cinematography. Every shot is a masterpiece, the lighting perfect, and the colors rich. The dark browns and the bright reds and oranges made each scene a masterpiece, almost like the colors had been painted on. The different tones and colors blind the viewer and also give the film a heavenly quality, something not quite real but all too vividly real at the same time. The colors add just the right touch to the story and exaggerate the different moods the characters are in, from blue to bright and happy.

Perhaps the only way the film is lacking is in the acting. While the characters bring across what they are trying to, the actors are very inexperienced and have a hard time being fully believable. The poor acting hurts the story and it distracts the viewers from what is going on.

The two main characters, played by Christina Cox and Karyn Dwyer, both make their first motion picture appearances in this film. Although inexperienced they do a decent job, but not as spectacular a job as they need to in order to completely capture their audiences. Anne Wheeler perhaps could have directed them better; the raw talent seems to be there. But overall it seems to have been a mistake to put inexperienced actors in these two very important roles.

The roles of Lila and Judy are both excellent; Peter Outerbridge brings the transgender character, Judy, completely to life. The pain and pleasure that Judy finds in everything is obvious, the expressions and change of voice going from one extreme to another in seconds. Outerbridge makes it easy to fall for Judy, to believe that she/he is real.

Wendy Crewson's interpretation of Lila is also excellent. It is no far stretch to believe her shock at having her naiveté broken, at discovering new things about herself, her family, and her friends. The viewer instantly falls in love with the heartbroken Lila, feeling pain for her losses and anger at her disappointments. Lila is portrayed well and realistically, adding to the strength of this film.

To see the characters played so well interact with those who were not is almost painful, which is one of the reasons this film is put down from time to time. There is a clash between the younger, less skilled actors, and the older, wiser, better ones. The scenes with just the more experienced characters are priceless, however, everything about them excellent in every way.

All in all, 'Better Than Chocolate' is a remarkable film and should be seen at least once or twice by everyone, all ages, and all genders. It is highly erotic, highly passionate, highly entertaining with a climax that will leave you aching for your loved ones. Go see it. You'll be happy.

Chicklet
Chicklet
231 Followers