Kellie and Brad Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This is also a great rivalry, but unlike another rivalry in Team Galenchuk's recent past, this one is borne out of mutual respect and great competition."

"No doubt, and here are the stats to back up your point. These teams have faced each other ten times in the last three years, and each side has won five times. This is the rubber match... and the stakes could not be higher! Winner wears the maple leaf at Canada's Olympics!"

The TV pundits were definitely laying on the hype, but in this case it was justified.

A sold-out arena and a massive television audience were settling in to watch the game. Included in the crowd on hand, in one spectator box high above the ice, were the family and friends of Team Galenchuk. They were all there, they hoped, to celebrate their success with them.

Both teams were introduced to the crowd, to great applause. They sat through the lengthy pre-match ceremonies, relieved when they were finally over because they were tired of waiting; they just wanted to get the game started so they could finally calm the butterflies buzzing in their stomachs.

Kellie's team, having the better record during the week due to handing Cathy's team their only loss, started with the advantage of having the last rock to start the first end. Predictably, with so much riding on the outcome, the game started cautiously. Kellie was content to play the first two ends openly, eliminating all rocks in play and keeping the last rock edge.

During the commercial break before the third end, Kellie said to Jennifer, Heather and Amber, "It's on." And they knew what she meant.

Time to attack.

Amber and Heather's shots set the attack up well, but great play by the third for Cathy's team meant all Jennifer and Kellie could do was leave a lane open for Kellie's last shot. They did, Kellie nailed the draw and took the lead for her team, 1-0.

Jennifer returned the favour in the fourth end and forced Cathy to draw for one and the tie. Kellie went on the attack in the fifth end, and things broke in their favour. On her last shot, she had a chance to break the game open and score three.

Unfortunately, her shot was a little too heavy and slid too far. Team Galenchuk had to settle for two points and led Team Kingston 3-1 at the halfway break.

"Sorry, girls," Kellie said during the break. "I should have made that shot."

"Don't worry about it, skip," Jennifer replied. "We still got our deuce with last rock. We're in good shape here."

Kellie wasn't the only one disappointed with her mistake.

"Dad, why did Mom throw that rock so hard?!" Kaitlyn indignantly asked.

"Relax, Kaity," Brad said to his daughter. "It was just a mistake. It happens."

"She should know to throw it softer and let Heather and Amber sweep it to the right place. I mean, that's a no-brainer!"

Brad was taken aback by what Kaity said, but he didn't say anything to her. 'She couldn't have come to that conclusion on her own,' he thought. 'Must have heard that on TV.'

Kellie discussed strategy during the break with her teammates as she tried to forget about her mistake. She encouraged the girls to stay positive and play aggressively. They felt they had momentum on their side.

But Team Kingston played well in the sixth end with their last-rock edge, scoring two points to tie the game and stealing any momentum Kellie's team had. Kellie tried to stay on the offensive, but Cathy's team made great defensive shots to get them out of trouble. The attacks in the seventh and eighth ends were repelled. Kellie was able to blank both ends and maintain last rock.

The ninth end, though, was a different story. Amber, Heather and Jennifer each had one of their two shots of the end go slightly off the mark. Cathy, especially, put the pressure on with two terrific shots. Kellie had to bail her teammates out with her last shot. She delivered with a clutch draw to the button to score one point and give her team the lead, 4-3, going into the tenth and final end.

"Way to go Mom!" Kaity cheered loudly. She looked at her dad and brother and said, "That was close! They just about blew it!"

"Kaity, relax already!" E.J. shouted.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Kaity yelled back. "I can't relax when the other team is only one down with the hammer! I still can't believe Jen missed that open hit! What was she thinking?!"

E.J. was about to say something else but Brad shook his head no. "Let her be," he whispered to his son. "Let's just hope she gets this out of her system."

The atmosphere in the rest of the crowd was just as tense and expectant. This had been a great match, and the big prize was still up for grabs.

This time, Amber, Heather and Jennifer each placed both their rocks in good positions. Unfortunately, the lead, second and third players on Cathy's team made even better shots, giving their skip a chance to score the winning points for their side. Kellie tried a miracle shot on her first and missed it by fractions of an inch. Cathy 's first shot removed Kellie's rock, leaving Team Kingston lying one and putting Team Galenchuk in a very difficult spot.

"What's your call, skip?" Jennifer asked.

"I need to put it here," Kellie answered, pointing to a spot in the rings that would force Cathy to a makeable but difficult draw to score the second point. Jennifer nodded and placed her broom down on the appropriate aiming spot.

Kellie slid down to the other side of the ice, barely aware of the large roar of applause from the crowd. She let Amber and Heather know the plan for this crucial shot.

"The ice is still running OK," Heather said. "Your regular draw weight will be good. We'll make sure we get it there."

"Let's go, skip!" Amber said in encouragement. "You got this!"

Kellie went through her pre-shot routine and delivered the rock. Her form was perfect, and Amber and Heather filled their promise of sweeping the stone properly so it stopped exactly where Kellie wanted.

It was all out of their hands now.

As they waited behind the ice, watching Cathy prepare to throw her last rock, the four teammates and best friends linked arms around their shoulders.

"No matter what happens," Kellie said, "know that I'm so proud of you. Thank you for everything. I love you all." Jennifer, Heather and Amber repeated those same sentiments, expressing openly their love for each other.

They watched Cathy release the rock. They watched it glide down the ice. They watched it curl. And they watched it stop in time to ensure two points for the other side.

The final: Team Kingston 5 - Team Galenchuk 4.

At that point, Kellie's brain went into emotion-stifling auto-pilot.

Watching the other team celebrate...

Congratulating her opponents on their win...

Saying to Cathy Kingston, "Congratulations. You have a fantastic team. Bring home that gold medal."...

Hearing her reply, "Thank you, Kellie! Your team is just as fantastic. We were lucky to win today. Thanks to you and your team for pushing us so hard!"...

Accepting the appreciative applause from the audience before ceding the stage to the victors...

Giving consoling hugs to Jennifer, Heather and Amber, who looked just as dazed as she was...

Standing through the interminable post-match ceremonies...

Climbing to the second spot on the podium and accepting the second-place prize...

Watching Team Kingston receive their gold trophies and official Olympic jackets...

Doing the media rounds and giving robotic answers to trite questions such as "How does it feel to lose this final?"...

ALL of these things felt to Kellie like they were happening to somebody else, like she was experiencing the most surreal out-of-body experience ever.

The four disappointed women were finally able to see their family and friends. They accepted many quiet hugs of consolation. No one seemed to know what to say.

Brad kissed and hugged Kellie, barely able to hold back his own tears. "I love you so much," he whispered to her. "I'm so, so proud of you."

E.J. embraced his mother as well. "You were great, Mom," he said. "You played really well. I'm sad for you, but you're still a winner with me."

Kellie felt about ready to let her emotional guard down. Then she noticed something that gave her pause.

"Where's Kaity?" she asked.

Brad nodded his head toward the viewing suite behind him. "I think you need to have a talk with your biggest fan," he said. "E.J. and I tried, but we couldn't get through to her. I'm sorry."

Kellie nodded, slipped past Brad and E.J. to enter the room, and her heart broke.

Kaitlyn was on a sofa, curled up in the fetal position, loudly sobbing.

Kellie sat next to her daughter. "Kaity?" she said softly. "Mommy's here. Are you OK?"

At the sound of her mother's voice, Kaitlyn leapt into her lap.

"It's not fair!" she wailed. "YOU were supposed to win! Not THEM! They cheated, right?! They had to have cheated! I HATE them, Mommy!! I hate them SO MUCH!!"

Kellie said nothing while Kaity ranted. She put aside her disappointment and soothed her daughter for a long time until, at last, her crying stopped.

"Are you done now?" Kellie said.

Kaity looked up at her mom, her sad face streaked with tears. "Are you mad at me?" she asked.

Kellie thought for a moment. "No," she finally said, gently. "I'm not mad. You're young, and you've been lucky. You haven't been exposed to disappointment. This type of heartbreak is a new experience for you. I can understand that you don't know how you should feel or act."

Kaity just nodded.

"But," Kellie continued, "this is a lesson for you. It's a hard lesson, but it's one you need to learn. When you watch me play in the future, you need to understand that, sometimes, I will lose. Also, if you decide to play curling like I do, or some other sport instead, you need to accept that, sometimes, you will lose. It happens to everyone. No one can win all the time. You need to learn good sportsmanship, and how to lose, and win, with grace."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that, whether you win or lose, you congratulate the other team and tell them they played well. And you never, ever say things like you hate the other team, or that they cheated."

Kaity bowed her head in shame. "I'm sorry, Mommy," she said very quietly.

"Chin up, Kaity," Kellie said as she tilted the young girl's head upwards. "I forgive you."

Kaity smiled thinly. Something still bothered her.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Kaity?"

"I don't get something. Are you saying I'm not allowed to be upset when you or I lose?"

"Of course not, honey. No one is ever happy when they lose. It's natural to feel upset or disappointed."

"You don't look upset."

"Maybe not, but I am. I'm very sad I lost today. I'll be sad for a little while, and then I'll get over it and be OK again."

"But you're not crying. Why is that?"

"Because I know some things that make me happy, and they help me not to cry that I lost."

"What are they?"

"I know that I tried my best, and I played the best that I could today. When you do that, you can be proud of yourself, whether you win or lose. I also know that, no matter what, my friends and family still love me. You, E.J. and your daddy still love me no matter what. That makes me a very lucky person, and it helps me to not be as sad as I could be. Do you understand?"

"I... I think so."

"That's OK. It's a start. You'll learn in time, and your brother, your dad and I will all help you. Now, do you promise not to say mean things about the other teams when you or I lose ever again?"

"Yes, I promise!"

"Good girl. I love you, Kaity."

"I love you too, Mommy."

"Let's go back to the hotel."

"OK... after you tell me something."

"What is it?"

"Why did you throw that rock in the fifth end so hard?"

Kellie had to laugh in spite of the sadness she was trying so hard to hide from her daughter. "I should have known you'd ask me that. You're my biggest fan... AND my worst critic!"

Kellie and Kaitlyn went back to the hallway where Brad and E.J. waited. Everyone else had left. The family took a taxi to their downtown hotel. They had a light dinner and prepared to turn in early, as they had an early flight to catch. Brad and Kellie tucked E.J. and Kaitlyn in bed in the adjoining room and returned to their own suite.

Once Kellie was alone with Brad, one look at him was all it took.

The sadness she held inside for hours released in a flood. She sobbed uncontrollably. Brad enveloped her in a protective hug.

"That's OK," he said in a soothing voice. "Let it all out."

He carried her to bed in his strong arms and held her close as she cried herself to sleep.

*******

She didn't think she'd be back here so soon.

Two weeks after returning home from Ottawa, after getting so painfully close to reaching their ultimate goal, Kellie found herself mentally burnt out from curling. She had little desire or motivation to compete. She barely had the energy to attend the brief ceremony hosted at the Blue Granite Curling Club, in recognition of her team's valiant attempt to earn the right to be Team Canada at the Olympics.

She gathered Jennifer, Heather and Amber together and suggested they take the rest of this curling season off and see how they felt when next season was ready to come around. She was quick to remind them that she did not want to disband the team and go their separate ways forever, but certainly for now she needed a break. They agreed with their skip as they were equally exhausted.

With that decision made, the last place she expected to be the following weekend was back at the Blue Granite.

But in her disappointment she forgot how eager Kaitlyn was to follow in her mother's footsteps. It took some pleading on her daughter's part to remind her that the young girl was very serious in her desire to learn the sport.

So here she was, with an excited Kaity at her side and talking to, of all people, the mother of her arch-nemesis.

"I had heard your team was taking a sabbatical," Colleen Morriss said, "so I was surprised to learn you made plans to be here today."

"I know what you mean," Kellie replied, "but Kaity really wanted another curling lesson today. I couldn't tell her no."

"Indeed. How can anyone say no to that pretty face?" Colleen asked, looking at Kaitlyn, which in turn made the young girl blush.

"So, Kaity," the older woman went on, "you want to be a really good curler?"

Kaitlyn's eyes lit up. "Oh yeah! I want to be on TV and win trophies just like my Mom!"

Colleen laughed kindly. "Well, you certainly have a great teacher to help you. Have fun today."

Kellie and Kaitlyn went to the sheet of ice she asked to have set aside for them. The young girl was puzzled to see the rocks they were about to use were smaller than the ones people were using right next door.

"Mom?" she asked. "How come these rocks are smaller than those?"

"These are junior rocks, Kaity," her mother replied. "You're still a bit too small to use the regular rocks, so these ones will make it easier for you to learn how to play."

"Aww, can I try the big rocks please?" Kaity pouted. "I bet I could make really good shots with the big rocks!"

Kellie smiled. "All right, why don't you take one of those rocks and slide it over here?"

So Kaitlyn tried to move one. It wouldn't budge. She tried and tried until she was out of breath.

"That thing is heavy!" she panted.

"Now do you see why we have the junior rocks?"

"Yes, Mom!" Kaity pretended to sound annoyed, even though she knew her mom was right.

Kellie pointed to both a regular rock and a junior one. "This rock weighs forty-two pounds. The junior ones are only twenty. You should be able to use them just fine. But be very careful! Even the junior rocks are heavy and solid. If you drop them on your feet..."

"Ouch! I get it, Mom. I'll be careful. I have a question, though."

"Sure."

"Can you lift a normal-sized rock?"

Kellie carefully lifted a regular rock. She held it beside her at knee height for several seconds. For fun, she lifted it higher to chest level before carefully placing it back down on the ice.

"Wow, Mom! You're strong!"

"Thanks, Kaity. If you're still curling at my age you'll get to be strong too. But that's for later. Let me show you how to get started."

Kellie reminded Kaitlyn how the pebbled ice allowed rocks to curl. She showed her how to stretch the muscles she would use, as well as some practice exercises on how to slide out of the hack and keep her balance. Kaity followed her mother's instructions carefully, and Kellie was impressed at how well and how quickly she was absorbing the information.

Before long, Kaity started to grow impatient.

"Mom, can I throw a rock now?" she asked.

"OK," Kellie said, passing her a yellow-handled junior rock.

"Where should I put it?"

Kellie tried not to laugh. It seemed an absurd question. Surely Kaity couldn't think her mother would tell her exactly where she wanted the rock to go and then actually expect her to put it there. In the end, she decided to humour her.

"Anywhere in the rings is fine," she said. "Just remember what I told you."

"OK, Mom, I got it!" Kaity replied, in that tone that all kids seem to know how to use to drive their parents crazy.

Kellie watched her daughter throw the rock.

Her form was... surprisingly excellent.

The rock glided down the ice, curling a few feet along the way, and stopped. When Kellie slid down the ice to see where it ended up, she was shocked to find it lying full in the eight-foot circle, well within the rings.

"How'd I do, Mom?" Kaity asked when Kellie came back.

"That was very good," Kellie said. Her mind spun for a moment. "You want to try something?"

"Sure!"

Kellie gave Kaity a blue-handled rock. "See if you can throw this rock so that it hits the one you just threw."

"Cool! I can do that!"

Kellie was happy to see her daughter so excited. And she wanted her little girl to do well in the sport and ensure that, even if she didn't curl at a championship level, she would keep playing and have at least one way in the future to have fun and stay active.

But she didn't expect that first throw to be so good.

She shrugged it off. Beginner's luck, she thought. Had to be. There was no way someone could pick up such a technically demanding sport so quickly. Not even her whip-smart and precocious daughter.

She watched Kaity push out of the hack, harder this time, and send the rock on its way.

Again, her form was surprisingly excellent.

The blue rock hit the yellow rock dead on. A perfect nose hit.

Kellie stared in disbelief.

"Yay!" Kaity yelled. "This is fun! I'm doing really good so far, right Mom?"

"Yeah," Kellie said in a far-away sounding voice. "Really good."

Impossible, she thought. That didn't just happen.

And yet it did. She saw it with her own eyes.

"Amazing," Kellie thought to herself. "My daughter's a curling prodigy."